Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I don't want to help you die...



Almost Non-Hypocritical

It’s been two years since I made my pledge not to text and drive and I can safely say I have not sent one single text while driving in the past 12 months and no more than a couple of times did I pick up the phone to read something – only to instantly notice it and drop it in my lap.  I’ve conditioned myself to only text when the car isn’t in motion (technically, by law, its considered texting and driving but as long as the car isn’t moving, I don’t see the harm.) and if I am driving, I pull over to the side if I need to send or read a crucial text or email.  It makes me happy to know that I've set a goal and have managed to stick to it; especially when I know I could possibly be saving my life or someone else’s.  Having said that, I still have one major flaw…

I’m an accomplice.

That’s right.  Even when I’m not behind the wheel of a car, there are texts that I send that contribute to the texting and driving epidemic.  I have and never will be a “phone” person.  Sitting and chatting on the phone has never been something that I enjoyed doing.  There are exceptions, but I prefer other forms of communication, so when texting came around, I was in heaven.  It has become my favorite way to “talk” to people and oftentimes; I forget how my phone works. (Yes, I am “that” guy who ends up sending so many successive texts that it would have been more efficient to call.)  Unfortunately, my personal preference has conflicted with my overall goal to end texting and driving in my life.  I have sent multiple texts to people when I know they are driving.  Even if I’m not expecting a reply, the fact that I sent it with the intention of it being read is not cool.  I couldn’t imagine hearing someone was in an accident because of a text that I sent.

Its time that I extend this pledge to include texts that I send to other drivers and I have no choice put to put my disdain for phone conversations to the side and save a life.

SRY I ALMST KLD U

No comments:

Post a Comment