Friday, July 30, 2010

A lineup sharper than Steve Harvey's



The Lineup: July ‘10

What I can’t live without: AC.  And I’m not talking about O.J.’s homeboy.  The weather has been so hot that standing still left you sweating.  The humidity required a two shower minimum and nothing made people happier than the feeling of that cool breeze once that AC kicked in.
(UNrelated: the electric bill this month)


If you haven’t yet…: You need to see INCEPTION.  By now every possible theory under the sun is on the internet but this is without question one of the best movies in a long time.  If you enjoy a movie that challenges you and forces you to question your every thought then this is the movie for you.


You’re currently sleeping on:  FELA!  An incredible Tony award winning play about Fela Kuti, a Nigerian icon who used his music and fame to fight injustice and inequality.  A fantastic play that is part-theater, part-concert.  An unforgettable experience nonetheless.

Peeve of the month: Punctuality.  Seriously we all have the same access to time and all of our clocks have 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour.  There is no excuse to be late.  Either you are inconsiderate or you are dumb.


You should have Netflix’d: In The Loop. A hilarious take on how the U.S. "dragged" the U.K. into the war in 2003.  They wittily make both sides look fantastically incompetent.  Its a satire but it makes you wonder just how close to real life it is.
(Related: Wall Street – classic movie, check the remake coming soon)


Question of the month: why can’t you “undo” an elevator button press?  With all the technology in this world, if you accidentally press the wrong floor, you’re stuck having to go to that floor first.  Think about it.


Had to make room on my iPod for: Rick Ross.  I can’t believe after hearing his first album, I’m actually a fan of Rawse.  His music is simply infectious.  Even after the whole correction’s officer “scandal”, he’s on top of the game.  I guess 50 is losing his career-killing skills.
(Related: Wiz Khalifa & Curren$y, Drake, J. Cole, Big Boi)


Kind of interesting how…: we feel comfortable calling shirts “wife beaters”.  How has this not gotten some women’s group to protest?  Weird.  I’d honestly try and call them something else but I don’t even know what they are really called. LOL/SMH
(Related: The irony of this picture)


Can’t wait for: Lottery Ticket - not sure why but i have a feeling that I'm really going to enjoy this movie.
(Related: Team USA Basketball, The Other Guys)

3 comments:

  1. Jus,

    Good stuff as always. I guess I'm a Rick Ross hater then, cause he doesn't do anything for me and the officer scandall deal. I think of Rick Ross when I hear Jay Electronica line where he says, "That's why when you talk that tough talk I never feel you, you sound real good and you play the part well but the energy you giving off is so unfamiliar..I don't feel ya...we need something realer" On another note, I'm not sleeping on Fela at all...I'm trying to figure out when we can get up there to see it. I heard its amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice line up--

    Totally agree with the elevator button thing. I've pushed the wrong floor and catch myself pressing it again as if I expect it to undo the option but it doesn't work.

    Oh, and 50 cent is too busy working on his acting career to worry about crushing other rappers. Btw his movie Gun is premiering tonight as part of the Latino Film Festival (you might be thinking-but 50 isn't Latino-yes but Jessy Terrero directed it and he's Dominican :).

    Very funny about the wife-beaters, as a "girl power" kind of girl I don't like using that term so I call it a man tank, lol. Caribbeans and anyone from the islands refer to it as a vest but according to Hanes they are actually called "ribbed A shirt"-I think my name is catchier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shoutout to Will Smith and Jay-Z for helping to bring Fela to the stage.

    ReplyDelete