Friday, April 29, 2011

The extra long form version of The Lineup



The Lineup: April ‘11

What I can’t live without:  Kratos.  I am about 5 years late to the party but I finally got a Playstation 3.  Now I am playing the 3rd edition of one of my favorite games of all time – God of War.  Its been so long that I forgot just how fun video games are.  I really feel like a little kid all over again.  One of the best things about being 5 years late is that all the games that I want are now ½ price. Lol.
(Related: NBA Playoffs – this is seriously one of the best playoffs that I can remember. I am literally watching a game every night)


What you should really care about:  The Federal Budget.

Why you need to care:  Politicizing the budget.  Its no secret, we have real issues facing our economy.  Republicans and Democrats are both out of work and pockets are hurting.  We need our politicians more than ever but they continue to fail us.  Instead of making changes to the budget than can have real change, they would prefer to use this as an opportunity to push their other agendas.  Trying to cut Planned Parenthood, education and the EPA will do absolutely nothing to fix the economy but would have adverse effects on our most vulnerable citizens.  I won’t pretend that I have the answers but I can definitely tell you that the budget that our government put together isn’t a good one.


End of an Era: It is time to tip our caps and say good-bye to the G.B.O.T (Greatest Boss of All-Time), Michael Scott of Dunder Mifflin.  This season marked the final year that we will get to see our favorite bumbling and awkward boss.  Who can forget the unintentional sexual harassment and bigoted statements that come out of his mouth?  I don’t know who the next boss of this paper company will be but I doubt that it will last as long… “that’s what she said”.


You  should be ashamed: Boxing. You know things are bad when the most anticipated fight happens on a fictitious show on FX.  For those that haven’t watched, Lights Out is a good show.  No wonder UFC is wiping the floor with boxing.
(Related: Booing Mayweather at the Berto fight; Pacman vs. Moseley (laughs))
(Related (sorta): I heard that the show might not return for a 2nd season. #Fail)


Kind of embarrased but: I was hooked on Celebrity Apprentice.  Gary Busey and Meat Loaf?  Count me in.  For a few weeks, I was completely locked in and enjoying all of the hijinx and schenanegans (not sure how to spell either of those words) but then Gary Busey got fired and well, I can’t seem to stomach Trump any longer.  (See below)
(Related: My mom got me hooked on Khloe & Lamar for an episode – SMDH)
(UNrelated: Terry Crews or better known as the guy with all the muscles that's in every movie has a family reality show that's actually pretty good.)


Stupid Fake Word: “Birther”.  This word was created to describe the faction of people who, without any actual evidence, believed that President Obama was indeed lying about his citizenship.  Well President Obama decided to release his official birth certificate to placate his “constituents”. I hope that this can be the end to “birthers” and this issue and that we can finally talk about real issues.  Somehow I feel this won’t be the last witch hunt that our President will have to fight through.
(Related: Donald Trump's ego has reached levels unseen before, if he has another fiery crash like in the early 90’s, I will be in the front row with popcorn.)


If I had a book club…: I’d tell you to get Good to Great… STAT!  Considered one of the greatest business books ever by most, this book definitely lives up to the hype.  The manner in which the concepts were derived from mountains of data, give them a credence that can truly stand the test of time.  In fact the book is so relatable that the concepts can be used in all things not just business.  A definite must read.

Random but obvious business tip:  If you are running your business properly, then every check that you write, should eventually lead to a much larger check being written to you.


Long overdue: The 1st Annual Comedy Awards.  Comedy is truly an art form that never seems to get taken seriously (the irony of that last sentence is not lost on me).  The Oscars are a great example.  When it comes to best picture, a comedy doesn’t win. In fact, its never nominated.  We have the Emmy’s for television, Grammy’s for music and Tony’s for theater but no love for those that provide us with laughter.  Finally Comedy Central has put a stop to that and decided to give all of the writers and comedians their just due.  It was a great inaugural show and I’m certain it will get bigger in years to come.


Did you know?: U.S. retailers loose nearly $40 Billion dollars to shoplifting . The cost to try and protect that $40 Billion?  $3 Billion. (c. "The Truth about Shoplifting on CNBC) Yikes!


You should have Netflix’d: Lottery Ticket.  When I first saw the preview for this movie, I had a good feeling about it.  Creative premise, solid cast and an all around good movie to watch with the family (well, most of the family).  Oh and I’ve been a fan of Bow Wow for a long time so its good to see him making moves. Plus Bow and Brandon kind of had a pseudo-Craig-Smokey thing that was kinda cool.
(Related: Faster – The Rock + Action = 90 Minutes of fun)


Had to make room on my iPod for: Frank Ocean.  My boy gWiz put me on to this kid from the group Odd Future.  This boy is talented.  He’s got the kind of sound that you can cruise to in your car or put in your house and just zone out.  His catalog is quite extensive as a 65 (yes, 65 song) mixtape was recently released.  Go cop that  and this.
(Related: Maybach Music Group; Fabolous; The Weekend)


Unlock the Magic:  If you have a choice between regular Oreos and Double Stuff Oreos and they are both the same price, well, there is no choice my friend.


Can’t wait for:  Big-time Movies. Thor, Pirates 4, Kung-Fu Panda 2 and of course, the return of the Wolfpack.  I am a bit scared to see what they are going to do with the new Hangover movie – you sometimes don’t touch classics – but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at my $12.
(Related: Finally breaking this writer’s block)

No comments:

Post a Comment