Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fresh line up for the Fall



The Lineup: September ‘12

What I can’t live without: Experiences.  Material things come and go but experiences provide memories that last far longer.  Earlier this year I wrote a post inspired by Jay-Z’s historic announcement that he was curating a two-day music festival in Philly and thanks to a surprise by my fiancée, I had the opportunity to experience it.  I’m too young to have gone to the 2nd iteration of Woodstock and probably too old to go to Coachella, but this was perfect.  I saw some great live performances including the return of Run DMC,  hometown heroine Jill Scott (with a guest spot from Eve), Janelle Monae and many more.  I even got hip to some new artists from different genres including Miike Snow and Passion Pit.  They created a whole community for two days on the Ben Franklin Parkway and with an epic peformance from Jay-Z which included a G.O.O.D. music performance and a “B” sighting, I’ll never forget the experience.


Broken Record: Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy. Diplomacy.  If you are tired of reading the same word, keep in mind that without it we get tragedies in Libya where innocent civilians like Christopher Stevens die.


It’s been a long time…: Since I had a library card.  In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if its been 15 years.  Needless to say, I wasn’t in a rush to ever get another card.  But like most things when you mature, you get a different perspective and make different choices.  Over the last couple of months, I’ve decided to step up my reading significantly and frankly dropping $20-30 on Amazon.com for every book doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.   So I signed up and with a click of my mouse (the internet was invented since my last card) took out two books and placed a few more on hold.  I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. “How you like them apples?”


Welcome Back:  I’m not sure how this sounds but with Key & Peele starting its second season, it’s already the most successful black sketch comedy show since Chappelle’s Show.  I definitely don’t want to jinx it but given the fact that Comedy Central has given the show its own night (rather than just the follow up to Tosh.0), the show may have some serious legs.
(Related: Parenthood – still amazing, really liking the Ray Romano guest spot)


When 47 > 99: Mitt Romney’s “off the cuff” (read: honest) assessment of 47% of the population got more accomplished than all of those hours of protesting by those “Occupy” folks.  I wish I were surprised that Mitt would say something like that, but then I would be lying.


Just because: If Gummi bears were drugs, I would be Pookie – strung out looking for my next fix.  Extra shout out to peach rings and all of the variations of sour gummi candies.


You should have Netflix’d: Murderball.  I’ve had this on my queue for a couple of years now and I’ve always leap-frogged it with newer titles.  Well finally I decided to give the 5-star documentary a chance… and I wasn’t disappointed at all.  It was an incredible story about wheelchair rugby and the athletes that dedicate their lives to it.  The documentary is so well done and these men earn so much respect that you stop feeling sorry for them and start looking up to them. (Note: above pic is taken from a more recent olympics than when the documentary took place but it was too awesome to pass up.)
(UNrelated: Wrath of the Titans – sucked, move on.)


Had to make room on my iPod for: Cruel Summer.  Best crew album in easily a decade, maybe ever.  That’s all you need to know.
(Related: Lupe)


Can’t wait for:  Halloween.  It has never been one of my favorite holidays but with a planned trip to one of Philly’s most famous haunted houses and possibly a party at the end of the month, I might have to figure out how to top this costume.
(Related: Presidential debates; The return of The Walking Dead!!!!! ... just realized that made the above pic more relevant!)


No comments:

Post a Comment