Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My car broke down!


99%

The other day I was running some errands and was on my way to get a haircut when I found myself having to parallel park on a busy street.  As I pulled up, I noticed that the light behind me had turned green and in a few short seconds cars would be flying by and a) I didn’t feel like waiting for all these cars to pass and b) I didn’t feel like having one of those cars clip me trying to pass.  So like dozens of times before, I cut the wheel fast and surgically snaked my car into that spot.  As I was getting ready to get out of the car, I noticed smoke coming from the hood and seeping through the vents.

Sh*t.

Somehow during my parallel parking expedition, I managed to either tear or detach my high-pressure power steering line.  Made sense because after I left the barbershop, I could barely turn the car.  The smoke was also explained because I had power-steering fluid leaking onto the engine and burning off.  I couldn’t believe that doing something so standard caused such a problem.  Then the good folks at Pep Boys gave me my estimate… $389.00.

Double Sh*t.

I’m not exactly rich so spending close to $400 to fix my car definitely stings because I had plenty of other plans for that money (Christmas gifts anyone?).  But in the minutes after I finished venting, it hit me that I’m in fact, lucky.  While having to foot that bill “stings”, at least I have the money to pay for it.  There are millions of people in this country who if faced with these circumstances, may have to go without their vehicle for months while they scrounged up the money.  This event could truly throw their lives (especially if they rely on that car to get to work or take kids to school) completely out of whack.  And truly, that’s what this Occupy Wall Street debate should be about.

It’s not about rich people being greedy or poor people complaining but it’s about a system that no longer protects its most vulnerable citizens.  A $400 car bill should not cripple anyone and every American should be able to fight their way out of poverty without sacrificing their dignity or family. That means that all of us who are either lucky enough and/or skilled enough to have this “comfort” need to put more into the pot.  Darwinism is a great concept and all but its compassion that makes us human and allows us to have a prosperous society.  Because at the end of the day, it will be hard for you to keep your millions, when your employees can’t get to work because their cars are in the shop.

4 comments:

  1. I have experience this when my car shut down in the middle of intersection. It is very embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about embarrassing, I was delivering dozens of animal-shaped balloons for my nephew's birthday when my car suddenly stopped while I was making a right turn on a busy intersection. It was very funny and unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it consoles you, car owners have their share of embarrassing car break-downs. It is an unexpected thing so you don’t have to be hard on yourself. But when you notice something unusual or odd in your vehicle, particularly in the engine, take it to the mechanic at once. This action can save you from embarrassing auto break downs and major car issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very powerful thoughts indeed! I, too, believe that it was more about the system no longer doing its job. You're right, $400 to fix a car shouldn't really be such a big deal, but we've lived through quite some tough times in just the past few years alone in terms of finances, so we can't help but be stung. I'm not sure that the results of the Occupy Wall Street movement have really been felt yet though. How is your car now? I hope it's fared much better these days since it was fixed.

    ReplyDelete