Thursday, December 9, 2010

Why we creep...


Settling.

I can’t remember the last time that I met a woman who hasn’t been cheated on.  You let most women give the statistic and they will tell you that 99.9% of men cheat and the final 0.1% are impotent.  In a world where David Letterman and Tiger Woods have made stepping out famous, it seems that every relationship is doomed.  I won’t bother to disagree or attempt to defend the virtues of the male species,  but I will provide an answer to the age-old question that haunts women in their dreams.  Why do men cheat?  The answer is simple.

Men cheat because you let them.

That’s right ladies, it’s your fault.  There is no genetic predisposition to cheating, nor is there a medical condition that makes men allergic to monogamy.  They do it because the consequences don’t outweigh the pleasure.  Of the women who have told me that they’ve been cheated on, a ridiculous number of them take these men back only to have it happen again.  If a man truly believed that you would leave him if he slept with another woman, trust me, it wouldn’t happen.  Don’t complain that he’s having his cake and eating it too if you are feeding it to him on a silver fork.

The worst thing that has happened is the female complacency with cheating.  Seeing infidelity as a necessary evil is like pouring gasoline on a forest fire.  Although men aren’t born to cheat, their environment does have an effect.  When young men see the women in their lives accept cheating and have older men teach infidelity like a birthright, what else do you expect?

But it doesn’t have to be this way.  There was a time when a relationship between a man and a woman resembled a master and servant.  Slapping a woman around was once a necessary evil that encouraged an entire generation of wife beaters.  But women eventually started calling the cops and leaving their abusers.  It’s time once again to reject the “status quo”.  If women take a stand, men will quickly straighten up and keep it in their pants.  Also a positive example for young girls and boys will be set and will change how cheating in a relationship is perceived.

No woman deserves to have her heart broken and having to choose between the lesser of two evils when it comes to the men in her life sucks... but I refuse to believe that she is helpless.  It’s even harder for me to feel sympathy for a woman who constantly allows the same man to hurt her over and over again.

Because when you settle for less, that’s exactly what you get.

3 comments:

  1. The hopeless romantic that I am does not allow me to believe that every relationship is doomed. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you want to cheat on the person you are with, either really examine the reasons you want to stray and fix the problem(s) or just call it quits. Why break someone's heart? Lemme find out that my "better half" is messing around, while I am doing my best to keep a happy home. Legs will be broken. lol j/k. I've learned (the hard way) that I'd rather be alone, than with someone who does not value me or "us" and that will eventually end up breaking my <3.

    ReplyDelete