Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Gabby, Michelle & Jay



#Progress

I finally decided to sit down and give Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire a shot.  Being a television junkie, it was weird for people to hear that I didn’t watch two of the most popular shows.  It wasn’t for a lack of trying.  I watched a few episodes of both when they originally aired.  A few reasons made me stop watching each show but only one was shared between the two…  My Blackness.  Watching the period pieces of Mad Men and Boardwalk, which took place in the 1920’s and 1960’s respectively, once again exposed me to images of stark and unapologetic racism.  Racism has and unfortunately will always be an emotional subject for me and I chose not to volunteer to put myself in a bad mood when I wanted to watch some television.  Since binging on my Netflix and DVR, I’m still trying to get into Don (a bit slow) and I got a bit hooked on Nucky (now waiting for Season 3) but both required a concerted effort to ignore the pain and simply enjoy it as entertainment.

An experience that I recently had while watching the Tonight Show had the complete opposite effect.  Episode 11 of Season 20 or as I like to call it, “the best Leno show ever”, had Jay Leno first sitting down with Michelle Obama and then later, Gabby Douglas.  Now having black people on late night TV isn’t a new concept but more than likely, they are promoting a movie or are the night’s musical act.  Not that there’s anything wrong per se but it gets a bit exhausting having to deal with the same stereotypes over and over again.  Watching these two “non-stereotypical” black women was without question a breath of fresh air and a much-needed example of progress.  Michelle embodies the concept of smashing the glass ceiling and Gabby gives us a reason to have hope for our next generation.

It’s impossible not to juxtapose what I experienced watching those two shows with what I witnessed on that Late Night couch.  The images of those fictional black characters and of those very real black women are now etched in my mind forever.  We as a country and a people have come a very, very long way and it must be acknowledged.  There’s no way that I see what I saw the other night without legitimate progress.  I’m not saying there’s no racial inequality but I refuse to act as if it’s 60 years ago where my ceiling is relegated to “the help” and I could be referred to as “boy”.  It’s time we (and by “we” I am specifically talking to people in the black community) put more of an effort to look through the windshield rather than the rearview mirror.  If a true injustice occurs, then focus all of your attention there but the word “injustice” cannot have infinite interpretations.  (Just to clarify: I’m for Trayvon Martin demonstrations but against protesting a Mary J. Blige fast food commercial.)

The past will always be there and there’s no realistic way to avoid it.  You cannot accurately re-tell the past through art or academics without giving weight to the good and the bad, but I realized that being alive to see a black man get elected President and watching Americans like Oprah Winfrey transcend her skin color, makes it easier to stomach the negativity.  Progress is definitely the medicine to heal these types of wounds.  Television’s most valuable television franchise had a comedian who was the host, the First Lady of the United States and a 2-time Olympic Gold medalist and American hero.  The fact that two of the three of these people were black is noteworthy.  However, the fact that neither of them were the comedian is why I wrote this post.

Check out the interviews here.

No comments:

Post a Comment