Thursday, May 31, 2012

Getting ready to lineup for the Summer



The Lineup: May ‘12

What I can’t live without:  The Sixers?  Anyone that knows me, knows that I love basketball.  I’ve been lucky enough to grab a few tickets to some Sixers games since I moved to Philadelphia and unlike last season, I decided to buy some playoff tickets.  I had never been to a playoff game before but being able to see basketball played on the highest level when the stakes are highest, was an experience that I’ll never forget.  Game 6 of the Bulls series was undoubtedly the best basketball game that I ever saw live.  They’ve been eliminated but I’m still glued to the TV waiting to see who’s going to win the NBA Championship.
(Related: Inside the NBA is still king of NBA coverage despite having Shaq)

Some things aren’t worth $38:  And Facebook is one of them.  Not even one month since one of the most anticipated IPO’s in history and the lawsuits are already flying.  Everyone from Mark Z to NASDAQ are going to have to lawyer up to fend of the thousands of people who allegedly feel they were misled into losing millions of dollars.  I can’t predict the future of this stock but I know the company will not be leaving the headlines any time soon.


Not sure if this would have been funny in real life: But the new HBO show, VEEP kind of sort of gives you a glimpse of what our White House would have looked like if Sara Palin was sitting 2nd in command.  Julia Louis-Dreyfuss (of Seinfeld fame) does a brilliant job towing the line of intelligence and incompetence and keeps you laughing the entire time.  Catch it if you can.
(Related: Game of Thrones; The Killing – Sundays are packed)


Cold as…: Ice.  My favorite book of the month was Ice-T’s autobiography.  Yes this book is cool (pun intended).  If you are a fan of Ice-T the “Cop Killer”, Ice-T the “New Jack” or Ice-T “The Finn”, you have to pick this book up.  The hardest thing to do while reading this book is to not imagine every word being spoken in his iconic voice.


You should have Netflix’d: Super 8.  I have been eying this movie for a very long time but I wasn’t sure if I should give it a chance.  The previews weren’t really clear in describing what the movie was about.  After watching it, I will say this:  I understand why no one talks about it but if you enjoy that classic “E.T.-The-Sandlot” type movie then you owe it to yourself to check it out.  Great filmmaking and the characters give you the kind of emotional pull that people need every once in a while.
(Related: Contagion, Haywire (sorta))


Had to make room on my iPod for:  More of that Philly.  I was one of the few people on earth that really disliked the original Dreamchaser mixtape and really wondered if Meek Mill would be able to live up to the hype and deliver a killer album.  Well after DC2 dropped, I’m less afraid.  Meek showed all the signs that he knows what do to create a thoughtful, entertaining and comprehensive project.  I’ve run through this tape several times and I only skip one track.  I’m officially looking forward to that album again.


Can’t wait for: Batman. Period.
(UNrelated: True Blood. I'm officially ending this abusive relationship)


No comments:

Post a Comment