Saturday, June 30, 2012

Lineup... 2012 is halfway over.



The Lineup: June ‘12

What I can’t live without: I don’t like repeating myself but I would be lying to everyone if I said that anything meant more to me in June than the NBA Finals matchup between the Miami Heat and the Oklahoma City Thunder.  Although it was only 5 games, every minute had me glued to the TV and I got to “witness” the “King” win his first ring.  The media hype surrounding this series was almost as entertaining as the games themselves.  I hope my boy is right when he proclaimed that Miami and OKC will be the new Lakers/Celtics...  If we could be so lucky.


If I had one Genie wish: It would have been for the Affordable Health Care Act to be upheld.  There was so much at stake from the re-election of President Obama to the very real effects that it would have on the health of millions of Americans.  Nice job Supreme Court, this almost makes up for dropping the ball on campaign financing.
(Related: So far so good with striking down Arizona’s immigration law)
(UNrelated: Romney’s predictable response to this ruling. I can’t wait to be done with this guy.)


I probably shouldn’t care, but I can’t help it: To the Kanye and Kim gift-exchanging extravaganza.  Thank you both for reminding us of two things. One, we are all much poorer than the two of you and two, we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop in this “love affair”.  Its hard not to be pessimistic after this… or this… or this. I didn't even mention Brandy's Brother's mixtape that started this whole thing.
(Related: John Travolta’s massage habits.  It’s really not important at all but its so fun to talk about.)


Cold as…: Ice.  Again. When I read his book, Ice mentioned that he was working on a movie that would pay homage to the “art” and “craft” of making a rhyme.  I can’t lie, I didn’t really take it seriously until I saw him appear on Jimmy Fallon’s show, fully promoting Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap.  This movie wasn’t about the glitz and glamour of Hip-Hop but rather the time, energy and passion that goes into writing a rhyme.  Somehow Ice managed to interview just about any one who has ever mattered and put together a fine flick.  A must see if you are a fan of the music, or if you need convincing that rap is more than just “noise”.
(Related: Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip-Hop by Adam Bradley.  One of the best books I ever read about Hip-Hop.  Bradley writes about rap music from the perspective of an English professor and gives the music the kind of credibility that most were unable to give it.  A must read)


You should have Netflix’d: Down month for rented flicks so I will direct your attention to a flim that I slept on… Cabin in the Woods.  It is no question the most unique horror movie that I’ve seen since Scream came out.  I won’t give too much away because it takes away from the fun, but it does a great job explaining, for example, why the slut is always killed first.
(Related: In Time – f**king Timberlake does it again)
(UNrelated: Killer Elite. To have a movie with DeNiro, Jason Statham and Clive Owen be bad is a crime.)


Had to make room on my iPod for:  Chainz… 2 of them.  I really did not want to like this guy.  His original name was Titty Boi (I can’t make this stuff up).  When I my friend first talked about him on Wale’s mixtape, I couldn’t stop berating 2 Chainz and my friend for being stupid.  But like Urkel and Laura, he wore me down with feature after feature… after feature.  His “Yaaahhhhh… Twwoooo Chaaiiiiinnnzz” ad-libs are permanently stuck in my head and more times than not, he gets busy with his verses.  Considering who was on the song Mercy, the fact that 2 Chainz has the best verse is saying something.
(Related: Nas  – looks like we're getting another classic!)
(UNrelated: French Montana. Yuck.)


Can’t wait for: Batman. That’s right, its getting two months worth of “can’t wait’s”. The only “can’t wait” that’s more memorable is this one.
(Related: Summer Olympics; UFC – Silva vs. Sonnen 2)
(UNrelated: Magic Mike. I’m not saying you couldn’t pay me to watch it, but it would be a high enough price to pay off some debt)


No comments:

Post a Comment