Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The First Lineup of the year... enjoy


The Lineup: January ‘12

What I can’t live without: Candid interviews.  This month was pretty much bland in terms of things to write about.  Nothing really stood out until I went to Facebook one day and saw a video of a Bow Wow interview with the Breakfast Club in NYC.  One link lead to another and it was 3am and I watched over 6 hours of interviews.  Envy, Angela and Charlamagne are really good at their jobs.  Not everyone knows how to give a good interview and they are incredible at getting people to step outside of their comfort zone and talk candidly about sensitive issues.  Despite being incredibly disrespectful, Charlamagne manages to get honest responses from guests and the result is pure comedy.  A great watch.


Are you following?:  Mitt’s journey.  Full disclosure, I can’t stand Mitt.  In my opinion, Mitt embodies everything that’s wrong with our politicians.  Once the governor of Massachusetts, Mitt essentially signed off on gay marriage and universal health care but since his run for the white house in 2008, he’s backtracked on every ideal he stood on because his “demographics” changed.  I’d take Bush again before Mitt because at least I knew Bush had convictions and I know where he stands.  Mitt’s politics sway with the polls and that’s how we end up bombing Iran or cutting Medicare. Oh and Mitt is rich as s**t and pays a lower percentage in taxes than a McDonald’s employee.  But he’s right, the “job creators” are really hurting.  I can’t believe I’m about to say this but… I want Newt!


Obligatory Blue Ivy Carter reference.
(Related: Loving the “Glory” tribute from daddy)


Umm…: Urine controversy.  If you missed it, the armed forces were under siege earlier this month because several marines were caught urinating on the dead Afghan bodies.  People all across the nation threw in their two cents about morals and ethics and demanded that the marines should be discharged.  I only wished that we as a nation were as critical of the fact that these men killed Afghanies in a war that has lasted longer than Lebron James' career.  If you want diplomacy, don’t have a war. You can’t have it both ways.  And if you are going to ask these young men to dodge bullets while you drink a latte, then you can't criticize them for a mistake made in the heat of the moment.


#KanyeShrug: Kevin Hart’s movie.  Had a few moments but I just expected more.
(UNrelated: Hank Moody – Still awesome.)


Thank you: To Roger and the rest of the NFL for an amazing playoff season so far.  Between Tebow’s OT upset over the Steelers, the Saints-Niners thriller, the Giants-Niners thriller, the missed FG (sorry Ray Ray), I’m not sure which moment is the best.  And after all of that, we get an incredible Super Bowl rematch between the Patriots and Giants.  OHH EMM GEE.
(UNrelated: the Pro Bowl. It’s time to give it up fellas.  I didn’t realize is was on until I turned on Sportscenter the next morning)


Unexpected Dopeness: Tom Hardy.  Have you ever watched a movie and said, “hey isn’t that guy from [insert movie]? He was amazing in that!”  Then you hit his IMDB page and realize he’s been in a few other movies and he was awesome in all of them?  That’s Tom Hardy.  His standout performance in the Warrior made me realize that he was also the foreign dude in Inception.  A few clicks on IMDB and I realized he was in RocknRolla and Layer Cake (two really dope British flicks) AND he’s going to be Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.  I just got another reason to get excited for July.
(Related: Liam Neeson – is there any ass that this man can’t kick?)


You should have Netflix’d: Warrior. See above for one of the main reasons this movie was so great.  In short this is the Rocky for Mixed Martial Arts.  Set in Philly, this movie follows two brothers who enter a MMA tournament to help them out of financial hardship.  Given the economic climate, this movie is not only entertaining, it’s also incredibly relevant.
(Related: The Debt & Rise of the Planet of the Apes)


Had to make room on my iPod for: Pabst & Jazz.  I’ve been a fan of Asher Roth since he debuted a few year ago but my interest waned as of late because his new music failed to grab me.  However his new mixtape is definitely in the rotation.  Rather than the “college keg party” feel that Asher usually goes for, this time around, he gives you a smoother, more laid-back vibe.  Definitely the perfect music for that train ride back home from work.


Can’t wait for: Vacation.  Sorry, there really isn’t anything happening next month that excites me more (lol).
(Related: A couple of UFC events; NBA All-Star weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment