Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Want to watch a movie?


Analyze This.

It’s kind of funny actually.  If I’m visiting someone’s place for the first time and I’m in their living room, one of the first things that I do is check out their DVD collection.  I’ll notice them from my seat and like a moth to a flame I’m pulled from my seat, eyes wide with excitement.  I can easily spend 5 minutes hunched, surveying each item. (If I know the person well, I’m liable to grab a few and read the backs of the cases.)  This quirky little habit of mine continues to entertain me because one, I am a movie buff, and two, I discovered that you can learn a lot about someone based on the DVD’s that they own.

First off your DVD collection is not like watching TV where you have very little control over the channels and programming, chances are you have this DVD because you made the conscious choice to purchase it.  That means that not only do you think its worth your hard earned dollars but you feel that its good enough that you want access to it permanently.  It’s a commitment of sorts.  So unless that Sex and The City 2 was a gift, it’s hard to deny that you might have a thing for high fashion and cosmos.

If you have movies like The Usual Suspects or Memento there’s a chance that you like thought provoking thrillers that force you to think.  I’m lead to believe that you are probably educated and are capable of having a good conversation.  Bad Boys or Die Hard shows that you can appreciate a great action movie but you need a good plot and decent acting.  This means you can be adventurous but won’t do anything too crazy. Having Crank 2 on the other hand might indicate that you don’t have a problem wasting your life 90 minutes at a time… and you might not be too bright.

Foreign films and documentaries are tough.  Both mean you are probably well read and traveled but the wrong combination of films can also smell like pretentiousness and arrogance. (Slumdog Millionaire and Super Size Me probably put you in the former category.)  Everyone loves a great sense of humor so Old School and Happy Gilmore are excellent choices to show that you can enjoy a laugh.  Clerks tell me that you enjoy wit and see aspects of life from a satirical perspective.  Be careful, poorly made comedies (Think anything with Tom Green) may send the message that your frat house days may not be past you.

The obvious choices of The Notebook for a woman or The Godfather for a guy are predictable and respected because they are both classics in their particular genres.  They could mean that you aren’t a difficult person to get along with and easy to relate to.  Obviously owning Waterworld says the opposite (Sorry Kevin). The number of DVD’s that you have, say a lot as well.  Too few DVD’s might mean that you don’t like to stay in the house and might be very outgoing.  Having a large collection suggests that you can just grab some popcorn and chill. It can also mean that you are willing to try different things.

I’m not saying that your DVD collection is a determining factor and that I will judge you by the proverbial “Director’s Cut Cover” but if we are at the end of a date and I see that you have the Soul Plane Blu-Ray Special Edition on display…

Well, there might not be another date.

No comments:

Post a Comment