Thursday, June 30, 2011

Can you think of a better way to start the summer? Me either. Line up!



The Lineup: June ‘11

What I can’t live without: Lyrics, lyrics and more lyrics.  For those that know me, Hip-Hop runs through the blood in my veins.  I’m also an 80’s baby which means that I come from a time where what you said in your song meant everything.  For better or for worse, it seems that crafty lyricism is no longer a priority and rappers who put serious effort into the words are becoming endangered.  Enter Eminem.  Over the last decade, I could always count on Eminem to remind me why I fell in love with Hip-Hop.  This time, he partnered with long time friend and equally talented emcee, Royce Da 5’9 to form the duo Bad Meets Evil.  Although they started recording together back in 1999, this is their first album together and it is incredible.  To make a long story short, stay close to your rewind button.




What you should really care about: New York (see pic).
Why you need to care: See next week’s post.
(Related: The U.S. decision to speed up the removal of troops)


Thank you: Anthony Weiner. Because of you, I will have an endless array of jokes for the rest of this year.  Also this should be a lesson to people who use Twitter and Facebook: privacy settings and privacy are not the same thing.


Saved by the Gavel?: Imagine a world where Zach Morris decided that after graduating from the “college years” he would attend law school and become a lawyer.  Now imagine he found himself a friend who was also a lawyer and who had the same knack for hijinx and buffoonery in and out of the courtroom.  Ladies and gents, I present to you, Franklin & Bash. Enjoy.
(Related: Men of a Certain Age)


Unexpected dopeness: Dead Nation. Resident Evil meets Contra. That’s really all that needs to be said.  For those with a PS3, I’m sure you were aware that the Playstation Network got hacked (evil nerds strike again) and it was down for a few weeks.  Well in response, Sony decided to give us two free games.  If you haven’t made your selections, I would definitely recommend this game.
(Related: The BET Awards. I have such low expectations but they delivered this year. Definitely didn't fast forward through as much as usual)



Did you know?: ESPN makes up 40% of the operating income for parent company Disney.


Hater’s Ball: To the City of Cleveland (and more specificially, Mo Williams, Boobie and Dan Gilbert): We get it. You feel slighted and you’re mad, blah, blah, blah.  The irony is, you all should be thanking Lebron for keeping your city (and sorry team) relevant for yet another basketball season.  When its all said and done, you guys will have to end up retiring both James Cavs and Heat jerseys. Lol.
(UNrelated: Congrats to Dirk, Kidd, Coach Carlisle and Mark Cuban on the 2011) chip.)


I can’t even front… and kind of embarrased:  I am hooked on the Khloe Kardashian like Pooky was to crack in New Jack City.  I started watching Khloe & Lamar because it was still hard to believe that someone who’s basketball career that I followed for over ten years actually married Khloe Kardashian.  Turned out that I love Khloe too!  I found myself agreeing with her almost all the time.  Now my fixation on Khloe has me watching the super sized Kardashian show, “Keeping Up…”.  I’m sorry to anyone who respects me.
(Related: Rob is hilarious and kind of a pimp.)


You should have Netflix’d: Megamind.  Not since Shrek have I found a kid’s movie so smart and engaging.  Not a lot is said about this moving but their original twist on the “hero vs. villain” concept completely fascinated me.  A Will Ferrell voice over was really all that I needed to at least give it a chance but I was pleasantly surprised.
(UNrelated: Daybreakers – sucked balls)


Had to make room on my iPod for: Famous, finally. One part Drake, one part Kanye, two parts youthful energy and charisma.  The highly anticipated debut album from the Kanye West protégé, Big Sean finally dropped this month and it is clear that a little bit of “Martin Louie the King” has rubbed off on him.  This album is well balanced and is entertaining from start to finish.  If you’re looking for a new artist to sink your teeth into, go cop this.


Can’t wait for: Optimus Prime.  By the time you read this, I will have probably seen this with those goofy 3D glasses (see last month) and I will have loved it!  I don’t care what the plot is, if something transforms from a car to a robot, count me in!
(Related: Harry Potter 7b. lol; Johnny Drama & Larry David)

No comments:

Post a Comment