Wednesday, November 24, 2010

No man is an island, not even a peninsula


Family Ties.

The worst thing to be in this world is lonely.  Even if you are successful, that feeling of accomplishment is extremely short-lived if you don’t have anyone to share it with.  I can’t say that I’ve ever met an unhappy person who has people in their corner that love and support him. There’s absolutely nothing like being a part of a family.

Unfortunately, with the rise of broken homes in our society, many blood relatives no longer qualify as family.  These same people, who you typically rely on to be there, might as well be strangers in the street.  Thankfully, you don’t need to share the same genes to be considered family.  Being family means comforting in times of grief, providing guidance when the path gets rough, and just being… present.

So to all of the stepparents, surrogate aunts and uncles, mentors and those irreplaceable friends, I tip my cap because without you, many people, including myself, would not have as many reasons to smile.  I have not seen my own father since I was six and if it weren’t for a stepfather, step-grandfather and uncle, I wouldn’t be the man that I am today.

Now, if only there was a day that I could show my gratitude…

Oh yeah…

Happy Thanksgiving :) 

2 comments:

  1. You just did (as you do everyday by being the man you've become) and thank you. Your Uncle D.

    ReplyDelete