Monday, February 28, 2011

February might be short but the Lineup is long...


The Lineup: February ‘11

What I can’t live without: NBA All-Star Weekend.  Its definitely my favorite weekend in sports.  I haven’t missed a moment of All-Star weekend since Harold Miner won his first dunk contest.  And I watched it all from Friday evening until the end of the game on Sunday.  (Yes I even used to watch 2 Ball but I’m glad they got rid of it).   I watch every second of the dunk contest just for that one “oh s**t” moment that makes me reconsider everything I thought I knew about athleticism.   But there is nothing better than watching the 12 best basketball players on earth play at the same time.  Nothing.  This weekend did not disappoint and I will surely be back in 2012.
(UNrelated:  I know he’s Chinese but if he only played in 5 games, you shouldn’t vote for Yao Ming out of general principle. C’mon Son.)
(Related:  NBA trade deadline this year was crazy. So many stars in new places. It will surely make for an interesting playoff run.)


You should really care about: Egypt.  The citizens of Egypt set a precedent that has spread to several countries around the Middle East and Northern Africa.  One by one, people are rising up against their dictatorships.  The process will no doubt be long and unfortunately bloody but when the smoke clears, we could possibly be looking at a brand new world.
(Related: Props to the U.S. for not jumping the gun and using military force in Egypt.)


Saying Good-Bye to: Royal Pains. After a few seasons, I finally had to let go of this TV show.  The story seemed like it was getting redundant and the characters were getting stale.  There’s too many new shows (see below) and I simply don’t have the time.
(UNrelated: Lights Out. FX does it once again. Get on it.)


Pro-Black: The Rockerfeller family.  Did you know that they were responsible for the Urban League, the United Negro College fund and Spelman College?  Never would have guessed in a million years that the Rockerfellers championed racial equality.  Salute.


If I had a book club…: I would tell you to go pick up Freakonomics.  I’m really late on this one because I had a long list of books to read first but it is definitely worth the hype.  I’m going to pick up their 2nd book as well.


Unexpected Dopeness: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  Its not that I haven’t seen it before but what surprised me was after almost 20 years the special effects still held up pretty well.  Considering the technology available at the time, the type of artistry used to combine the live actors and the cartoons was incredible.


You should have Netflix’d: A-Team.  Now this is how you do an action movie! (Will Smith Voice)  This movie definitely didn’t disappoint.  You don’t have to be a fan of the TV show to enjoy this movie.  Not too much talking, action scenes were just realistic enough to pass and the plot was smart enough to keep you engaged.  If you need something to watch on a rainy Friday night – grab it.
(Related: Saw: The Final Chapter – it really wasn’t that great but if you have already committed to the first 6 movies then you deserve to know how it ends.)


Wouldn’t trade places with: AT&T shareholders.  iPhone – Verizon – Can you hear me now?
(Related: Charlie Sheen’s cast members on “Two and a Half Men”. Talk about a bad break.)


Had to make room on my iPod for: Randomness.  With no real albums or mixtapes worth noting, I just bumped a bunch of singles and old classics.  And boy was it random… Rick Ross, Paramore, Wiz Khalifa, Bruno Mars, Ciara, Incubus, etc.


Can’t wait for: Lupe Fiasco – Lasers (March 8th). Two albums. Two classics. One of my favorite rappers of all time. #SuperExcited
(Related: Raekwon (3/8), Wiz Khalifa (3/29), UFC 128, Battle: Los Angeles (maybe))

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit perturbed by the fact that Lupe is calling this "the label's album."

    ReplyDelete