Monday, January 31, 2011

2011... Let's get it poppin'


The Lineup: January ‘11

What I can’t live without:  Decoded.  Anyone that knows me, knows how much I love and appreciate Hip-Hop.  I didn’t think it was possible to love the culture more... and then I read this book.  Jay-Z didn’t just write a good book for a rapper, he wrote a great book, period.  He beautifully weaved anecdotes, personal perspectives and autobiographical information while at the same time “decoding” the complex lyrics of his songs.  When you finish the book, you realize that Jay-Z is not only the greatest rapper of all time but one of America’s greatest artists and cultural icons.  Go get it.
(Related: PREDICTION – Jay-Z will one day win a Nobel Prize)


Definition of Poise: President Obama.  Year 3.  With the Tea Party hurling insults from one end and Republicans arguing everything short of the colors of the flag, President Obama had to speak to the nation with his State of the Union address.  He not only challenged his critics, he challenged the entire country to participate in moving this forward further.  That night, he wasn’t a just democrat or even a politician; he was a leader plain and simple.
(UNrelated: See below.)


Someone needs to explain: The “opposition” party response to the State of the Union. Its not about whether or not I agree with the ideas but more about status.  Last time I checked, there is ONE President of the United States and there should be ONE speech addressing the nation as a whole.  How does a congressman or senator get to share the floor with a President?  Divisive politics annoy me to my core.


Make room in your trophy case:  To Christian Bale for his scene-stealing role as Dicky in The Fighter.  After being Batman and John Conner, Bale reminded the world that he is still an incredible method actor and can literally transform into any character.


New World Order: Oprah’s new channel (yes, CHANNEL) which started January 1st is called OWN. Switch those letters around and you know what the deal is.  This incredible woman is taking over and redefining media one step at a time. Salute her.


Kinda embarrassed but: I LOVE MILLION DOLLAR MONEY DROP!  Every few years or so, they come out with a new game show and I get hooked like a kid in a candy shop.  Watching all that money fall, and the subsequent look on people’s faces, is excellent television.  Plus I will never ever forget that the Post-It was made before the Sony Walkman.
  

There’s no easy way to say this:  I liked Twilight.  #TeamEdward.
  

You should have Netflix’d: I Can Do All Bad by Myself.  I usually don’t like Tyler Perry movies but I trust my girl Taraji P. Henson, otherwise known as my 2nd favorite actress in the world.  Like most dramas, this one gets wrapped up with a nice predictable bow but the dialogue between Taraji and the other cast members is where the magic happens.
(Related: Despicable Me, Kiss and Tail)


So Proud of: Wiz Khalifa.  In an age where music careers are more vulnerable than ever, this kid out of Pittsburgh has finally made it and he did it his own way… and the right way (through talent, hard work and quality music).  He’s built up a cult following, recorded classic mixtapes and now has a top 5 single and performed his anthem at the AFC championship game. #win
(Related: Nicki on SNL)


Had to make room on my iPod for: Bruno Mars.  Bruno has given me my favorite R&B album since Get Lifted dropped.  He currently has two songs on the billboard top 10 so I’m clearly not the only one.
  

Can’t wait for: 2011.  The Superbowl.  I shouldn’t have to explain why.
(Related: UFC 126 – Bones Jones in primetime baby)

No comments:

Post a Comment